Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Please, keep in mind, I am a first-time mother when reading the following:

Yesterday the babysitter called saying Ethan may have dislocated his shoulder, he was napping, but he was favoring it and not using it at all. She said it was tender and he whined and cried whenever he bumped it against something.
Of course, I sprang into action. Larry was also heading home at the time, so he was able to arrive at the sitter's house and pick Ethan up. I wasn't sure what to think since we weren't there. I remember this had happened to me as a child.
I called the pediatrician and as it turns out, it's pretty common - the ailment is Nurse Maid's elbow. I guess the tendon is pulled or jerked out (like pulling kids up by their arms or out of a car, or up off of the ground, you get the picture), but can be manipulated back in. Which, is what happened in about 10 minutes, all better. Interesting.
Thankfully, Larry works for the state and has kick-a$$ insurance. I think Ethan has been to the doctor's office at least 9 times in 20 months, and this does not include the check-up's occuring every two to three months.

4 comments:

The Amazing Mumfords said...

My oldest also got Nurse Maids elbow when she was two. James was holding her hand at a BYU Basketball game and she fell down and he jerked her back up and pulled it out! I went ballistic at the time (plus I was prego on top of it so my hormones were out of control) I yelled at the nurse and the doctor and when all they did was pull it and twist it I was even more angry I had to pay out the nose for that! LOL! Everyone was scared of me that day.

Stephie said...

Happened to Katie as well...it is very common. But still scary! Hate when my kids are in pain!! At least once the ligament is back where it belongs, the pain is pretty much gone!! Hope Ethan is feeling better!!

Unknown said...

That can also happen to Dogs as well. I used to pick up dobby by his arms and sometimes I would hear a popping noise...ick...Luckliy nothing as serious as Ethan. I don't do that anymore

Brenda said...

Wow, my kids have never had that problem *knock on wood*. I do know what you mean though, if my kids are in pain, then my heart gets to pumpin and people better get out of the way..ha ha!